lichess.org
Donate

Blowing a 2600 off the board

Game 9 of the Anand - Carlsen 2013 match had a very similar structure, arising out of a 4.f3 Nimzo Indian. One very significant difference compared to this game though is that the white light squared bishop wasn't on c2, but on g2, where it is not placed quite as aggresively. So maybe when the bishop is on d3, playing c4 is actually a mistake, but it's kind of in the spirit of the structure.
You mean this game?

Here ...c4 makes more sense as black has given up the bishop's pair and thus must keep the position closed. White has played f3, a3 and e3 and has not yet developed any piece.

In your game ...c4 just spends a move and releases tension. I know it has been played before in that position, but white scores well. I do not see any other mistake he made, so IMHO you win by good play on account of ...c4.
Black also gave up the bishop pair in the game... The overall structure is very similar, I think that the main differences are the white bishop being on the b1-h7 diagonal and some tempi.
Yes, the pawn structure is the same. It seems the bishop's position and some tempi make the difference between winning and losing.

Edit there are not even a few tempi: Black ...Nc6, ...o-o, ...Re8, White Bd3, Ne2, o-o, that is 3 tempi versus 3 tempi. So only the bishop makes the difference.
Good point in the edit tpr, seems that the tempi don't really change.
So it seems that if black wants to play ...c4, then he must do so before white plays Bd3.
I suppose so, can't allow the bishop to claim that diagonal.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.